Did you know that November 13th (today!) is World Kindness Day? Well now you do, and you should celebrate it! This season is when kindness is generally most encouraged (of course we should be kind all year round, though!) and also most needed. Sure, the Holiday season is filled with cheer and laughter, but lets be real, it is also about last minute shoppers trying to find the perfect gift, kids that are overtired from all of the celebrations, people all over the world that don’t have adequate food or means to even celebrate, and the list could go on. But instead of just dwelling on all of the not-so-great things that are going on around us, why don’t we focus on how we can spread the kindness and just maybe turn one of those situations around? Here are 10 simple ways that you can spread some kindness today:
- Smile. I know it seems simple, but sometimes in all of the craziness this world brings it is harder than you would think. Just a simple may be all that is needed to put a smile on someone else’s face, too.
- Donate. This is the time of year that food pantries and other non-profit organizations are looking for donations of products, and/or time. Donating either is a way to help someone in need.
- Send some snail mail. Who doesn’t like getting “real” things in the mail? I’m talking about real, hand written letters and notes from friends, not bills and advertisements. Through blogging I’ve gotten to know many awesome people all over the world and sometimes just a nice note in the mail is the perfect way to show appreciation and keep up that friendship even when you are many miles away.
- Hold the door open for someone next time you are out shopping. A parent trying to wrangle several kids and/or a stroller. Someone with several bags trying to balance everything and open the door. And older person who is using a cane or walker, or may not have the strength or grip to open the door easily. These are all wonderful candidates for spreading some kindness.
- Do a chore that your roommate usually does. An easy way to lighten their load in this always busy time of year.
- Bring a snack to your work to share. Happy co-workers make for a much happier work day, in my opinion. An easy way to show some kindness to them is bring in some kind of snack or baked good to share with everyone.
- Buy coffee/beverage for the next person in line When I was
a Starbucks addictdrinking coffee all the time, this happened to me surprisingly often while going through the drive through. If you can spare a few dollars to pass the kindness along to the person behind you I’m sure it will be a pleasant surprise.
- Send a happy text, email, or Facebook message to a friend you haven’t talked to in a while. It doesn’t have to be anything long or complex, just a “Happy Friday” or “You are awesome!” will do the trick. This is one of my favorite easy ways to spread kindness.
- Next time you get some of those printed-at-the-register coupons that you can’t use (like at Target and CVS) keep them and put them next to the item in the store. That way when someone who needs they product is about to buy it, they can use the coupon instead of you just putting it in the garbage!
- Give yourself a break! You deserve some kindness too. Buy yourself that fancy coffee, take a nap, splurge on that cupcake. Showing yourself kindness is just as important as showing it to others.
What are your favorite easy ways to show kindness?