It has been over two weeks now since giving birth. Sometimes it feels like months, sometimes it feels like just yesterday. Either way, as I continue to heal and get my body back up to normal speed, there are some things that I am grateful to have back after 41 weeks of being pregnant.
- Sleeping on my back. Well, really, being able to move around easily while laying down is an amazing feeling. Those last couple of weeks of pregnancy I felt like I was gigantic and it took all of my strength to roll myself over in bed. Even though I’m still not getting a whole lot more sleep than those last two weeks for other baby related reasons, I am happy to say it is much easier to get comfortable when I do get to sleep.
- Deli meat. Deli meat sandwiches were always an easy meal option for us – until I got pregnant and deli-meat was out of the picture. I’m so happy that deli meat sandwiches are back in rotation. I may have missed them so much that I requested a sandwich for one of my first post-birth meals while still in the hospital.
- Bending over. It is really nice to be able to bend over, put on socks and shoes, get up off the couch, and generally move around with less hassle now.
- I’m still waiting to go out to eat, but I can’t wait to have a deliciously medium-rare cooked steak. i feel like a Valentine’s Day dinner out might be a good opportunity for this…or really any other day, because I can’t wait. Some tasty wine and dessert would go great with that steak as well. (Hey, Madison, where is your favorite place to get steak??)
- Non-maternity clothes. I still can’t fit into most of my pre-pregnancy clothes (which is to be expected) but I can definitely wear more than those last couple of weeks. I swear weeks 39-41 I wore the same 4 things over and over again. Now that I have a few more options of things to wear – even if they are just larger t-shirts and tank tops that I had bought at the beginning of the pregnancy, I feel like I have so many more options. Oh, and wearing sweatpants pretty much all the time is pretty great too.
As much as I felt pretty good through almost the whole pregnancy, those last couple of weeks really did me in. I’m so happy to have baby on the outside now, though that does have its own stresses too of course.